Title: Civil Engineer 2
Specialty: Access Roads Civil Engineering Project Management
Job #: 9090
Location: Vancouver, WA
Job Length: Multi-year opportunity with a full benefits package
This contract position will work within the TELF (Transmission Transportation Engineering) organization and the Client. The Civil Engineer will provide professional and technical support to Client engineers, project managers and other technicians in the design of assigned civil engineering projects to verify conformance to all institutional regulations and Client standards. This support includes preparing or revising engineering drawings and designs for transmission line access roads and preparing design specifications for the construction or reconstruction of access roads, bridges, and culverts.
o With oversight and approval from the Client Manager:
• Provide professional and technical support to design engineers, project managers, and technicians; gather information in the field in the form of measurements and photos for various road, bridge, culvert, and site projects. Work in the field may require response to routine questions from landowners, service contractors, and others (federal, state and county workers); escalate more complex, politically sensitive questions to COR / CO.
• Provide civil engineering support in the creation and maintenance of civil design and specifications standards.
• Identify and recommend defined critical engineering design parameters, select and recommend design methods, monitor the technical approach and review the final design.
• Identify, evaluate, and recommend appropriate solutions to resolve complex interrelated problems and issues.
• Provide and recommend solutions for both design and operations problems and produce new designs, as needed, when standards do not cover the project situations
• Anticipate design problems that may arise and participate in the development, evaluation, and implementation of alternative solutions.
• Design construction and reconstruction of single lane aggregate roads, including hydraulic and fish passage culvert and bridge design, specifically site study, permit sketches, size, location/alignment, and performance requirements.
• Perform grade, volume, hydraulic, and other engineering calculations in support of design work.
• Prepare, review and evaluate retaining wall design plans.
• Prepare design documents for the JARPA/permitting process.
• Prepare comprehensive final design packages for the repair and construction of access roads.
• Verify specifications are in accordance with policy and regulations and are technically correct for bridge and culvert reconstruction and construction projects.
• Maintain, update and revise design and engineering records.
• Maintain data quality and prepare and verify data models.
• Draft, prepare, revise and distribute design drawings, engineering technical documents and databases to support civil design projects or other assigned work on various computer platforms including Microstation CAD and ESRI.
• Update and maintain, as necessary, existing hard copy design drawings and convert existing hard copy drawings to electronic versions.
• Organize and analyze drawings prior to setup and discuss project complexity and time estimates with technical and management personnel.
• Assist manager with various administrative duties, such as producing engineering records.
• Perform field investigations, special studies, estimating projects, and construction inspection and specification development as needed.
• Provide project management support to access road construction project efforts collaborating and working closely with Contracting Officers (CO), Contracting Officer Representative (CORs), Environmental Team (EP, EC, Inspectors), Construction Contractors, Construction Inspectors, Construction Managers, Realty Team (Realty Specialist, Realty Technician, Landowners), TLM crews (Forman I, and Forman III), and Client management and executives. As requested by CO/COR, act as Field Inspector for ongoing construction work.
• Provide project management support and assistance to COR / CO which may include documenting specifications; assisting with input into and drafting Statements of Work (SOWs); conducting market research; providing cost estimates for management review; and, providing Subject Matter Expert (SME) input as a technical advisor to source selection panels as a non-voting participant.
• Collaborate and work closely with the COR / CO to review deliverables and designs produced by contract services to validate deliverables are in accordance with contractual specifications and requirements and are technically correct.
• Identify corrective action concerns and recommend corrective actions in report to COR.
• Provide project management support for assigned smaller civil engineering projects, serving as PM including:
Requesting technical resources required for the project.
Coordinating and facilitating project team meetings, communications, work assignments, etc.
Developing / drafting and recommending project plans, specifications, and requirements, schedule, deliverables, milestones, budget estimates, project documentation, etc.
Monitoring the milestones, schedule, and budget to keep project on track and on budget; facilitating and coordinating with the COR requesting changes to schedule, scope, time or funding, as needed.
Tracking risks and issues, researching solutions and mitigation options and making recommendations for review and acceptance by federal personnel; implement Client management-approved corrective actions.
Tracking, updating, and maintaining project documents (on SharePoint workspace and in ProjectWise) related to assigned projects; and, facilitating and coordinating distribution to stakeholders, sponsors, project team, and other interested parties.
Requesting and setting-up project workspaces; maintaining project workspaces; participating in workspace innovation/development. Assist others outside of TELF with navigating project workspaces.
Drafting and/or reviewing existing contract documents to submit to COR / CO for final review and approval/acceptance.
Compiling and documenting lessons learned throughout project lifecycle and produce lessons learned at project close-out.
• Participate and contribute to group process improvement efforts, such as creating new or revising existing processes, procedures, and standards.
• As requested, attend public meeting(s) relative to area of expertise or assigned project to answer technical questions or to provide SME explanation/input. Attendance at public meetings should also include Client manager, COR, or other federal personnel with the authority to do so.
Education & Corresponding Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering or a directly-related engineering field is required.
• 5+ years’ previous engineering and/or, design, with a diversified knowledge of engineering concepts, principles, and practices experience is required.
• Experience must include the following:
o 4 years’ experience in drafting using MicroStation or AutoCAD.
o 5 years’ experience using Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data.
Required Technical Skills & Experience:
• Experience in a civil engineering position, planning or designing aggregate roadways within the construction industry.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
• Proficiency in Western Washington Storm Water Management design.
• Proficiency in Bentley ProjectWise
• Demonstrated experience reviewing and evaluating design packages (including drawings, material certifications, and submittals) for conformance to the design specifications and standards.
Pre-Employment Requirement: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment screening that may include drug testing, background/criminal check, and if applicable, must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Founded in 2002, ieSolutions is recognized as one of the largest locally owned Talent Staffing Services company headquartered in Portland, Oregon. We deliver our best each day to provide Reliable, Fair, Collaborative and Compassionate services to our customers, candidates, and employees.
Collaborating with our customers, we augment their workforce with technical and administrative talent. We provide information technology, engineering, operation, technician, analyst, project management and administrative talent to our clients throughout the Pacific Northwest.
Our employees receive a competitive compensation package which includes health benefits, disability insurance, access to a 401k plan, paid-time-off and a continued professional development/education benefit.
ieSolutions is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.