Job #: 582614
Title: BI Developer (SAP Business Objects)
Location: Portland, OR
Duration: 6+ Months
Immediate opening for BI Developer to join our top healthcare client in Portland. This position is responsible for working with client Hospital Finance and ITG’s Business Intelligence and Advanced Analytics Teams to transition reporting from Epic Clarity instance on Oracle RDBMS to Epic Clarity and Caboodle on Microsoft SQL Server RDBMS.
Business Objects Universe Development and Business Objects Web Intelligence experience is required.
- The ideal candidate will have prior healthcare or finance/accounting department data experience, preferably in a healthcare organization that utilizes Epic Systems Electronic Medical Record System. Experience with Epic Clarity and Caboodle Data Warehouse is strongly desired. Beyond technical skills, English communication skills sufficient to capture requirements from customers shared in verbal and written form and translate these into business intelligence solutions using Business Objects Universes and Web Intelligence is necessary for success in this role.
- Strong collaboration with hospital finance and ITG in order to capture requirements and execute these through iterative development approaches such as Agile are hallmarks of this position. The ideal candidate will also possess a good understanding of Epic Resolute billing processes, Epic Clarity Resolute HB and PB data structures, healthcare terminology, and the data model of Epic Caboodle Data Warehouse.
Duties and Responsibilities:
BI Systems Engineering/User Support:
Develops Business Objects, T-SQL (SQL Server) and Epic BI solutions that provide robust end user layers for adhoc reporting use, visualizations, advanced dashboards, reports, and stories. Business Objects: Universe Design (information design tool), Web Intelligence and Crystal. Works closely with other client IT staff to meet expectations for design reviews and coding standards. Provides issue resolution during Quality Assurance / User testing. Assists with the move to production/implementation process. Work through established processes to resolve any system or data problems and communicate updates and status to affected groups. Recommend changes to ETL processes and/or the data warehouse model to improve existing structures and code to increase reliability and efficiency. Provides technical expertise to support end users developing ad-hoc queries and departmental reports. Support could include consulting on techniques/best practices, troubleshooting of their solutions, working with clinicians and Epic developers to improve user interfaces and templates for improved reporting, and promotion of user developed solutions to Quality Assurance and Production. Respond to and track issues using HP Service Manager issue management tools. Gather additional information from the customers. Triage the issue and resolve or escalate by involving additional team members as required.
System Analysis : Work with data warehouse architects, line of-business analysts and users to gather detailed requirements for and provide input into the design of Business Objects and Epic reports, visualizations, advanced dashboards, analyses, and adhoc end user layers. Work with BI Architects, Developers, Analysts and users to design, create and publish ETL processes and ETL metadata using SQL Server SSIS and other tools. Provide complete and consistent documentation of data warehouse content and ensure that users can determine what data is available in the warehouse, how this data is defined, how key metrics are defined and analysis is performed. Facilitate customer requests for new or changed solutions. Develops options with recommendations, creates functional specifications including performance requirements, and test plans to confirm delivered functionality.
Project and Systems Management:
Will fully understand and utilize the System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) process and procedures. Will manage projects by creating timelines, identifying risks and milestones, and providing status reporting to others as defined. Provide support to data warehouse developers, line-of-business analysts and users to validate data in the data warehouse. Investigate and report on problems and work to ensure the validity of the data warehouse. This could include scheduling reports and dashboard refreshes in Business Objects Scheduler, Tableau, Microsoft SSIS, ActiveBatch or other scheduling tools. Use an approved query tool (SQL Developer, etc.) to identify data quality and data relationships to assist with the design of efficient and effective reporting solutions. Provide support to fellow data warehouse developers, line-of-business analysts and users to validate data in the data warehouse. Investigate and report on problems and work to ensure the validity of the data warehouse.
Work with data warehouse developers, line-of-business analysts and users to develop data structures and data marts that support and enhance information access, analysis and reporting.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, a related field, or a clinical field Preferred
- Minimum 4 years’ work related experience in the information technology field or a combination of clinical or operational healthcare environments;
- Minimum 2 years experience as Business Objects Application Engineer
- developing Business Objects Web Intelligence reports and dashboards
- developing Business Objects Universes using the Information Design Tool (IDT)
• Experience with facilitating and documenting system requirements sessions
• Experience gathering and documenting business requirements
• Experience creating technical documentation of reports and data/report models
• Experience with utilizing star schema data stores as the basis for report development
• Minimum three years working with SQL Server T-SQL, including tuning of queries
• Proven communication, analytical, and problem solving skills
• Experience with Systems Development Life Cycle (SDLC) processes and procedures and/or Agile development
• Ability to read and explain a data model
• Experience gathering and documenting business requirements
• Knowledge of data warehousing architecture and dimensional modeling concepts
• Ability to read, write and maintain SQL code at an advanced skill level
• Exceptional customer service skills - both in person and on the phone.
• Exceptional interpersonal skills - able to resolve conflicts and to problem solve between parties.
• Demonstrated evidence of strong (English) written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to manage competing priorities. Ability to meet deadlines and urgent patient and system needs.
• Ability to work independently; willingness to serve as a positive and professional role model.
• Must have demonstrated record of reliable attendance, punctuality and proven successful performance in past and present.