Title: Software Programmer 3
Job #: 9162
Application Due Date: 2019-12-16
Location: Vancouver, WA
Job Length: Multi-year opportunity with a full benefits package
This contract Software Programmer 3 position is in the Transmission Technology System Development and Support (TTSD) organization. The TTSD organization develops and implements customized technology solutions to support the Client’s Control Centers. This position will assist in interpreting design specifications, assist with technical design, and provide coding software following test and deployment procedures, Work will be performed in compliance with project documentation requirements and participating on a development team using a mix of development methodologies including Agile.
• Design, develop, test and deploy n-tier C#.Net applications utilizing the .Net 3.5 framework and later.
• Perform occasional administration of Windows Server (2008 or newer) in both virtual and non-virtual environments including applying Microsoft security patches.
• Design, document, and communicate effective technical solutions for programs or applications meeting end-user requirements.
• Design, develop, test and deploy n-tier web and client-server applications.
• Design, develop, test and deploy User Interfaces.
• Work collaboratively with users and technical staff to design streamlined and efficient user interfaces.
• Develop code in accordance with the system requirements.
• Identify or resolve problems in applications at all system tiers (Application, Server, Database, Network)
• Troubleshoot performance and interoperability problems between desktop applications, servers and databases.
• Participate in creation of implementation strategy and plan, and review of deliverables.
• Actively participate and assist in the day-to-day implementation schedule preparation and activities.
• Leverage automated testing to consistently deliver reliable, high-quality code.
• Participate in developing unit and functional test plans.
• Design, develop and conduct automated unit and regression tests.
• Document and implement software deployment procedures, leveraging existing control center tools and creating custom solutions as needed.
• Analyze, test, and apply changes to the application environment while following established change management procedures and requirements.
• Utilize SQL to perform data modeling tasks and manipulate data in Microsoft databases.
• Utilize C# .NET to produce text, HTML, and Excel-based reports (including charts).
• Develop batch programs, Windows services; DCOM distributed processing programs, web services, and web user interfaces using C# .NET.
• Suggest changes in data collection and reporting processes based on subject matter expert’s interpretation of national and regional reporting requirements.
• Work with users to design custom web-based tools.
• Utilize the PI-Software Development Kit (SDK) to programmatically fetch data from the PI historian.
• Answer questions Client personnel have about information stored in the data historians.
• Perform occasional Internet Information Server (IIS) administration tasks.
• When needed, provide technical expertise to support the following:
o Break down technical work into tasks and provide reasonable time estimates to complete them.
o Review other developers’ code and provide technical and constructive feedback where necessary to verify that their code follows Client and team coding standards and programming best practices.
o Communicate status of project development work to project team, users, information system owner and others.
o Analyze and interpret system functional and non-functional requirements and propose technical designs that satisfy the requirements that also minimize the long-term maintenance of the system.
o Identify and escalate technical bottlenecks and impediments to the project manager, information system owner (ISO), and ISO delegate.
o Produce needed technical documentation.
· Mentor and assist other members of the software development team.
· Produce robust, efficient, and secure code for applications that interact with end users in high availability environments.
· Participate in creating team resources and reusable code libraries.
· Participate in developing technical, user documentation, and training materials.
· Work collaboratively with users and technical staff to design streamlined user interfaces.
· Develop Web pages incorporating interactive elements using Java, XML or Active X.
· Collaborate with software developers, testers and users throughout the System Development Life Cycle.
· Productively integrate with an existing Agile development team.
· Communicate technical information verbally and in writing to technical and non-technical users.
• Support Federal Information Security Management Act (FISMA) standards and North American Electric Reliability Corporation critical infrastructure protection (NERC-CIP) compliance when performing assigned work.
Education & Corresponding Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering or a directly related field is preferred.
o With an applicable Bachelor’s degree, 8 yrs of experience is required.
o Without an applicable Bachelor’s degree, 12+ years of experience is required.
• Experience should include demonstrated software programming work experience in Computer Science/Information Technology and developing and implementing technology solutions.
Required Technical Skills & Experience:
• 8+ years of experience in software development with at least 5 years of this experience using Microsoft technologies
• 5+ years of experience developing with .NET framework and C#
• 5+ years of demonstrated expert level .NET programming within an experienced development team
• 5+ years of experience with the following:
o Object Oriented design principles
o Database Access (design and query Microsoft databases using SQL)
o Microsoft Visual Studio IDE
o Microsoft Office Suite applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Project).
• 5+ years of experience utilizing software industry best practices for code development, critical system deployment, and software documentation
• 5+ years of experience with Microsoft shell languages (DOS/PowerShell)
• 5+ years of experience with Microsoft NTSF file and folder security controls
• 3+ years of experience with ASP.NET web applications and console-based applications using C#
Preferred Skills & Experience:
• Experience producing SOAP and/or REST web services in C#
• Experience producing Windows Services in C#
• Experience programmatically generating Excel spreadsheets using C#
• Experience making configuration changes to Microsoft’s IIS version 7.5
• Experience collaborating with software developers, testers and users throughout the System Development Life Cycle
• Experience with XML schemas and data structures
• Experience using the Aspose Cells API
• Experience using the PI-SDK object model
• Knowledge of how program demands affect both server virtual and non-virtual resources
• Utility experience is highly preferred including business knowledge of transmission information, equipment ratings, and components used in the electric utility industry
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment screening that may include drug testing, background/criminal check, and if applicable, must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
About APR Staffing:
APR Staffing was born from the merger of two well-respected technical staffing firms in Portland. ieSolutions, founded in 2002, enjoyed an impressive reputation as one of the largest locally-owned and most respected technical staffing companies. Professional Resource Group, aka Data Resource Group, founded in 2009, also earned regional acclaim for being a fast-growing and highly-motivated professional staffing agency. Both companies have been recent award winners for the Portland Business Journal's Fastest-Growing Private Companies. The two firms, now as APR Staffing, make for one of the fastest-growing and most-respected professional and technical staffing companies in Oregon and Southwest Washington.
Collaborating with our customers, we augment their workforce with technical and administrative professionals. We provide only high-caliber, professional-grade resources throughout the Pacific Northwest.
APR Staffing is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.