Title: Business Analyst 3
Job #: JP9028
Location: Portland, OR
Job Length: 1+ years
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Business Analyst 3 in this position will serve as point-of-contact, collaborating with the manager, team members and business stakeholders to: clarify business operations, functions, provide gap analysis, document/map current and future states, identify and recommend solution alternatives, evaluate alternatives, and define / draft and/or recommend resulting business and change management approaches, strategies, processes, procedures, and workflows. This position will also recommend, promote and actively support change management plans and implementation.
- Provide recommendations for business capability (process, people, information, technology) change impacts and recommend appropriate change mitigation activities.
- Collaborate and communicate with a wide variety of technical and business experts in both individual and group settings to determine project / project team requirements; recommend / request project resources from appropriate program manager.
- Research, interview internal customers / end-users, stakeholders and other interested internal parties to gather and understand customer / end-user requirements, which may include software solutions; and/or business process, procedure or workflow development; present solution recommendations for management, executives, stakeholder consideration and approval.
- Research and analyze potential solutions and/or the potential impacts of solution options; present solution options and recommendations, which may include input / incorporation of team recommendations.
- Follow established methodologies and processes to document and analyze aspects of the current state or future (end) state and recommend steps to close identified gaps.
- Plan, coordinate and facilitate team working sessions to analyze and document/map current state processes, value streams, and business capabilities and future state processes, value streams, and business capabilities.
- Work with the appropriate manager / personnel to facilitate resolution of conflicting priorities and requirements, as well as conflicting team positions in order to build consensus among stakeholders and project team members.
- Provide analysis and fact-based criteria to the project requirements and/or solutions vetting process, incorporating analysis and criteria in decision-making materials and presentations.
- Draft and recommend key project deliverable documents including: requirements, process diagrams, architectural models, workflow maps, project plans, change management plans, and materials for stakeholder meetings.
- Provide background information, technical input, options and recommendations that facilitate decision making and that will enable key requirements of the Key Strategic Initiative and/or other project milestone to be met. This may include arranging, setting and facilitating decision-making sessions/meetings, drafting agendas, leading discussions and presenting information, options and recommendations.
- Validate and facilitate as necessary, the accurate interpretation of business requirements by business unit experts and that the management-approved business process flow is implemented consistent with the Key Strategic Initiative project (and/or other project) plan(s) and with the overall Enterprise Architecture standards and principles set forth by the BTO’s Business Architecture (BA) organization.
- Help the project meet business, schedule, and budget objectives.
- Monitor progress of assigned projects/assignments to track timelines, milestones, deadlines, standards and targets, alerting appropriate manager / personnel of any obstacles / potential delays to project / assignment timelines, targets or success; provide corrective action recommendations.
- As requested, perform appropriate testing of recommended solutions, including new analytical tools or components, new or revised workflows, processes, standards, business-case criteria, and/or mitigation measures.
- Collaborate with IT developers and subject matter experts to convey the management-approved technical vision and to analyze potential tradeoffs between usability and performance needs; work with appropriate manager / personnel to reconcile and determine acceptable tradeoffs.
- As requested by the manager / personnel, evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguish user requests from the underlying true needs; incorporate findings and insights into project and change management plans, decision-making information and recommendations and other project considerations.
- Develop / draft documentation for project development efforts (including use cases, requirements, test plans, process maps, and desk procedures) working closely with development team and business team’s successful implementation.
- Follow System Life Cycle (SLC) processes, including providing support and guidance to the project team; submit feedback to the SLC team for updates, and validating that the SLC is being followed.
- Provide recommendations and guidance to technical staff and serve as liaison between business and technical aspects of projects. This includes planning project stages and assessing business implications for each stage.
- Work with the appropriate manager / personnel to facilitate resolution of conflicting priorities and requirements, as well as conflicting team positions in order to build consensus among stakeholders and project team members in both individual and group settings. Under the guidance of the Manager, administer and carry out the requirements elicitation and development process including facilitating workshops, presenting and validating findings, assisting in the development of business cases, and managing changes discovered during analysis, alerting the manager of any noted concerns or potential issues.
- Prepare and support structured management of business documents and artifacts, such as training documentation, desk procedures, quick start guides, system requirements, and process designs; publish documents to systems and document storage sites.
- Draft and prepare Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, Power Point presentations, Visio flowcharts and MS Project to capture and convey clear information for decision support or increased understanding of a topic.
- Support and facilitate the following functions:
- Written and verbal sponsor communication;
- Project team communications and coordination;
- Inter-project team communications and coordination;
- Team meeting and sponsor meeting management.
- Maintain regular and consistent communication regarding project / assignment status and concerns, with appropriate parties, including the manager, project manager, stakeholders, project team, etc.
- Monitor effectiveness of change plans and strategies, recommending improvements for management consideration to gain maximum benefit. Alert stakeholders, including the appropriate manager, of any risks that may negatively impact project scope or schedule; provide mitigation recommendations for the manager / personnel review and acceptance; implement management-approved actions.
Education & Corresponding Experience
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Business Administration/Management, Organizational Development, or closely related field is required.
- With a Masters' degree, 6 years of experience is required.
- With an applicable Bachelor’s degree, 8 yrs of experience is required.
- With an applicable Associates degree, 10 years of experience is required.
- Without an applicable degree, 12 years of experience is required.
- Experience should be consistent with the specific requirements of business analysis and progressively more technical in nature.
Required Technical Skills & Experience
- 2 years’ experience in the Electric/Utility Industry.
- 2 years’ experience years with the following:
- Change Management methodologies
- Presentation and Communication experience
- Intermediate to advanced skills in MS Office suite of applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and with MS Visio, Access, and Project.
- Proficiency in modeling, visualization, and presentation tools.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- PMI or PMP certification
- 2 years’ experience with System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) or IT project delivery environment.
- 5 years’ experience in business process improvement techniques, with 2 years applied within the energy industry.
- 2 years’ experience with Finance/Budget/Accounting.
- 2 years’ experience with Business Analysis standards as documented in the Business Analysis Body of Knowledge…
- Familiar with Project Management standards as documented in the Project Management Body of Knowledge (PMBOK).
- Familiar with concepts of Enterprise (Business) Architecture and business capabilities.
- Familiar with architecture frameworks (such as The Open Group/TOGAF, FEAF, DODAF, Zachmann).
- Familiar with modeling/mapping business process requirements, verification of deliverables.
- Familiar with the definition and development of operational governance models to enable programmatic change.
Pre-Employment Requirement: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment screening that may include drug testing, background/criminal check, and if applicable, must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Founded in 2002, ieSolutions is recognized as one of the largest locally owned Talent Staffing Services company headquartered in Portland, Oregon. We deliver our best each day to provide Reliable, Fair, Collaborative and Compassionate services to our customers, candidates and employees.
Collaborating with our customers, we augment their workforce with technical and administrative talent. We provide information technology, engineering, operation, technician, analyst, project management and administrative talent to our clients throughout the Pacific Northwest.
Our employees receive a competitive compensation package which includes health benefits, disability insurance, access to a 401k plan, paid-time-off and a continued professional development/education benefit.
ieSolutions is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.