Title: Software Programmer 3
Job #: 9368
Application Due Date: 2020-01-21
Location: Vancouver, WA
Job Length: Multi-year opportunity with a full benefits package
This contract Software Programmer 3 position is in the Transmission Technology System Development and Support (TTSD) organization. The TTSD organization develops and implements customized technology solutions to support the Client’s Control Centers. The position assists in interpreting design specifications, assists in technical design, coding software, and following test and deployment procedures, complying with project documentation requirements, and working on a development team using a mix of development methodologies including Agile.
- Use existing standards, procedures and practices to design, code, test, deploy, configure and support the outage system.
- Analyze, estimate, test, code, and deploy application/system changes under the prevailing change management procedures and requirements.
- Work directly with the Business and Technical Team to document and implement user stories/change requests.
- Work with compliance staff to verify that system remains in a compliant state including architecture and modeling the application.
- Productively integrate with an existing Agile development team.
- Serve a critical role as a programmer on an existing XP based development team.
- Attend and participate in team meetings (design, iteration planning, stand-up, etc.).
- Apply existing standards, procedures and practices as appropriate.
- Collaborate with software developers, testers and users throughout the System Development Life Cycle.
- Support North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC)/Western Electricity Coordinating Council (WECC) compliance by verifying adherence to standard requirements and documentation measures.
- May also participate as a programmer on other teams in support of the Transmission Technology business unit as needed.
- Provide emergency and backup support for existing systems and functions.
- With Client manager oversight and approval, provide support for ongoing projects:
- Break down technical work into tasks and provide reasonable time estimates for completion.
- Review other developers’ code and provide technical constructive feedback where necessary to verify that the code follows programming best practices.
- Communicate status of project development work to project team, users, information system owners and others.
- Analyze and propose technical designs that satisfy functional and non-functional requirements which also optimize the long-term maintainability of the system.
- Identify and escalate technical bottlenecks and impediments to the project manager and information system owner.
- Produce required project technical documentation.
Education & Corresponding Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering or a directly related field is preferred.
o With an applicable Bachelor’s degree, 8 years of experience is required.
o Without an applicable Bachelor’s degree, 12 years of experience is required.
• Experience should include demonstrated software programming work experience in Computer Science/Information Technology and developing and implementing technology solutions.
Required Technical Skills & Experience:
• Experience with multiple programming languages such as C#,Java, Ruby
Preferred Skills & Experience:
· Demonstrated experience developing:
• Ruby on Rails applications
• Web Services
• Experience with any or all of the following:
• Rails 3 through 5
• Source Control Systems (preferably Subversion)
• C# .NET
• Experience working in Agile development team (preferably XP based)
• System Administration experience
· Understanding and experience applying:
• Object oriented programming principles
• Design patterns
· Current experience practicing Test Driven Development
· Ability to adapt to changing requirements and processes
· Knowledge of Agile development methodologies/practices
· Ability to troubleshoot and resolve performance problems at various layers of a system (application, database, server, network, etc.).
· Strong ability to quickly become familiar with existing systems and codebases
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment screening that may include drug testing, background/criminal check, and if applicable, must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
About APR Staffing:
APR Staffing was born from the merger of two well-respected technical staffing firms in Portland. ieSolutions, founded in 2002, enjoyed an impressive reputation as one of the largest locally-owned and most respected technical staffing companies. Professional Resource Group, aka Data Resource Group, founded in 2009, also earned regional acclaim for being a fast-growing and highly-motivated professional staffing agency. Both companies have been recent award winners for the Portland Business Journal's Fastest-Growing Private Companies. The two firms, now as APR Staffing, make for one of the fastest-growing and most-respected professional and technical staffing companies in Oregon and Southwest Washington.
Collaborating with our customers, we augment their workforce with technical and administrative professionals. We provide only high-caliber, professional-grade resources throughout the Pacific Northwest.
APR Staffing is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.