Title: Electrical Engineer 2
Specialty: Substation Design
Job #: 9217
Location: Vancouver, WA
Job Length: Multi-year opportunity with a full benefits package
This contract Electrical Engineer 2 position is in the Substation Design (TEES) Group in the Transmission Services (T) business line at theClient. This Electrical Engineer 2 will review, check and design electrical drawings for electrical power substations; review and check electrical drawings for electrical facilities; conduct Station Service system analysis and short circuit & Arc Flash studies.
• Draft electrical drawings for new substations (69kV-500kV) and recommend changes and additions to existing substations and other electrical facilities.
• Draft electrical drawings for new substations below 69kV and recommend changes and additions to existing substations and other electrical facilities.
• Perform Station Service system analyses in support of other organizations including Facilities Engineering, Maintenance Facility, Telecommunications, and Substation Engineering.
• Conduct short circuit and Arc Flash studies to provide services and products to proper sizing Air Circuit Breaker, accurate Arc Flash Warning Labels for proper PPE.
• Facilitate pre-construction planning, engineering and design efforts for installation of substation equipment and other electrical systems in Client substations.
• Provide input and recommendations for engineering requirements and technical design parameters in the development of substation equipment and facilities, while verifying they meet all functional, operational, maintenance, reliability, and safety requirements.
• Coordinate with Client internal and external technicians to facilitate the completion and issuance of designs on schedule.
• Provide recommendations on the application of the National Electrical Code and the National Electrical Safety Code to substation work and other related projects.
• Select and apply the appropriate quantitative analytical techniques to model and analyze the effects of Substation Design strategies.
• Coordinate and facilitate planning and organization of substation design projects including troubleshooting design problems, resolving problems, and recommending appropriate design methods.
• Perform print verification and project planning in Client energized substations, including the examination of open cabinets in substations, while ensuring that the minimum approach distance for the appropriate voltage is adhered to at all times.
• Visit existing Client substations and proposed substation sites while unescorted (voltages in substations can range from 120 volts to 500,000 volts) to verify design prints, meet with electricians or for on-site coordination and other construction meetings.
• Escort Client employees and /or contractors that do not hold permits for access to Client substations.
Education & Corresponding Experience:
• A Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering (or closely related field) is required.
o With an applicable Bachelor’s degree, 5 yrs of experience is required.
• Experience should include knowledge of electrical engineering concepts, principles, and practices applicable to components and facilities found on a regional transmission system.
Required Technical Skills & Experience:
• 5 years’ experience working with professional engineering theory and techniques sufficient to provide technical leadership in the design of the physical components of substations.
• 5 years’ experience in electrical substation projects for new substations, capacity additions, line/position extensions, reliability/automation improvements, equipment relocations/replacements, maintenance, and as-built.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
• Knowledge of substation protection schemes.
• Knowledge of Remedial Action Scheme (RAS).
• 2 years’ experience in the following:
o QA/QC for electrical substation projects.
o Short Circuit and Arc Flash Study.
• 1 year experience with software programs to include,
o Easy Power for arc flash studies
o Bluebeam Revu or Adobe Pro
o MicroStation or AutoCAD
• 1 year experience with File Structure System ProjectWise.
Pre-Employment Requirement: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment screening that may include drug testing, background/criminal check, and if applicable, must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Founded in 2002, ieSolutions is recognized as one of the largest locally owned Talent Staffing Services company headquartered in Portland, Oregon. We deliver our best each day to provide Reliable, Fair, Collaborative and Compassionate services to our customers, candidates, and employees.
Collaborating with our customers, we augment their workforce with technical and administrative talent. We provide information technology, engineering, operation, technician, analyst, project management and administrative talent to our clients throughout the Pacific Northwest.
Our employees receive a competitive compensation package which includes health benefits, disability insurance, access to a 401k plan, paid-time-off and a continued professional development/education benefit.
ieSolutions is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.