Title: Electrical Engineer 3
Specialty: Energy Management Systems (EMS)
Job #: 9057
Location: GSU/100% Off-Site
Job Length: Multi-year opportunity with a full benefits package
This contract Electrical Engineer 3 position will provide support for Client’s Transmission business unit System Operations Real Time Control System group (TTSE) which provides support for Client’s Control Centers & Power System Dispatching function. The environment is comprised of the suite of Energy Management Systems (EMS) and related training systems which are Windows-based systems maintained and operated in the GE-Alstom Habitat proprietary database, UI and application environment. The position will provide technical support for implementing the new database modeling system and supporting the Dispatcher Training Facility (DTF) environment. This position is 100% offsite and is open to all locations within the United States.
• Provide a high level of professional engineering expertise, support and assistance in planning and implementing software projects critical to Transmission Services.
• Provide technical engineering expertise, input and recommendations to appropriate Client manager / personnel for determining specifications and planning replacement EMS data modeling systems [mainly, e-terrasource (ETS)] needed to meet the demanding performance and user requirements of the future for review, consideration and acceptance.
• Provide technical engineering expertise, input and recommendations to appropriate Client manager / personnel for redesigning Client’s EMS data modeling environment and related processes and procedures, ensuring that the results meet the requirements of Client’s future Reliability Coordinator, RC West.
• Draft & maintain documentation of procedures & processes used in the development, integration & deployment, triage, troubleshooting & implementation of corrections to ETS.
• Provide training to other staff on above processes & procedures.
• With oversight and approval from the Client manager, design and code diagnostic software to assist hardware personnel in finding and resolving hardware problems.
• Provide Operation & Maintenance (O&M) support for the DTF Power System Model including supporting integration with the SCADA, AGC & PSST clones including:
• Triage, troubleshooting & repair of system problems.
• System performance monitoring.
• Application corrections, improvements & functional enhancements as defined.
• Follow established software control standards and procedures, and maintain quality documentation.
• Maintain documentation, files and filing system(s) in accordance with compliance requirements. Verify all official records are accurately maintained for auditing purposes. Maintain file records in accordance with Information Governance & Lifecycle Management (IGLM) standards and procedures.
• Study existing failures and electronic problem reports, including those of hardware interfaces, to investigate and research current problems / issues.
• Work with the hardware staff, dispatchers, communications and field personnel, as required, to draft and present root cause / problem analysis and corrective action recommendations for review, consideration and acceptance by Client manager / personnel.
• Recommend software solutions and procedures to recover from malfunctions in order to keep downtime to a minimum for review, consideration and acceptance by Client manager / personnel.
• Monitor and analyze computer performance; alerting appropriate Client manager / personnel and documenting issues, concerns, status, etc.
• Recommend alternate solutions, such as hardware changes, if they are considered necessary to improve performance, for Client manager / personnel review and approval; install and implement Client management-approved changes.
• Draft operational procedures for computer operators, the Network and System Operations Center (N-SOC), software staff, and other users as required; submit draft materials for review, finalization and approval by Client manager / personnel prior to use.
• Provide routine / standard technical engineering expertise, assistance and Client-approved training to the operators, N-SOC’s, and hardware and software staff, under appropriate oversight of Client manager / personnel.
Education & Corresponding Experience:
• Bachelor degree in technical discipline (e.g. Engineering, Computer Science) is required.
• 15+ year’s previous engineering and/or design experience, with a diversified knowledge of engineering concepts, principles and practices experience required.
Required Technical Skills & Experience:
• Data systems & control systems design, principles, practices & concepts.
• High availability operations & maintenance design, principles & concepts.
• Configuration management concepts & practices.
• Developing & implementing policies, procedures & guidelines in a government power utility.
• Operating & maintaining a highly available control system.
• Working in IT systems pertaining to control & operation of a complex real-time system.
• Working in a high availability environment.
• Process development.
• In addition, the system management & administration tasks require knowledge & experience working with:
o GE Habitat database & display environment versions 4.1.2 thru 5.8
o GE EMP application version 1.51PLUS thru 2.6
o GE eterraSource product
o Programming, including obsolete languages (FORTRAN) and uncommon languages (QVTO)
Preferred Skills & Experience:
• Experience in utility sector enterprise IT.
• Project management & coordination concepts & principles.
• Project management of complex projects with many requirements & divergent goals.
Pre-Employment Requirement: All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment screening that may include drug testing, background/criminal check, and if applicable, must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Founded in 2002, ieSolutions is recognized as one of the largest locally owned Talent Staffing Services company headquartered in Portland, Oregon. We deliver our best each day to provide Reliable, Fair, Collaborative and Compassionate services to our customers, candidates, and employees.
Collaborating with our customers, we augment their workforce with technical and administrative talent. We provide information technology, engineering, operation, technician, analyst, project management and administrative talent to our clients throughout the Pacific Northwest.
Our employees receive a competitive compensation package which includes health benefits, disability insurance, access to a 401k plan, paid-time-off and a continued professional development/education benefit.
ieSolutions is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.