Title: Electrical Engineering Tech 3
Specialty: Power Systems
Job #: 9305
Application Due Date: 2019-11-22
Location: Vancouver, WA
Job Length: Multi-year opportunity with a full benefits package
This contract Electrical Engineering Tech 3 position will work with Client’s Transmission Grid Modeling (TPMG) group. This position will work interactively with Project Managers, Design Engineers, Customer Service Engineers, Field Service Engineers, Planning and Operations Study Engineers, and Project Coordination Engineers to support the calculations for Client’s System Electrical Data (SED). This position will also work with Grid Modeling Engineers and Client’s customers to gather, analyze, compare, and process the Facility Ratings from foreign utilities in support of Client’s compliance with NERC FAC-008.
• Support calculation of transmission system impedance parameters used in reliability and commercial planning and operational powerflow studies, real-time studies and fault studies by performing the following functions:
o Geometric Mean Distances (GMDs)
Identify phase spacing from structure diagrams. If diagrams are not available, estimate phase spacing from eGIS, LiDAR, or other topography.
Draft updates to phase configurations
Provide updated draft diagrams to draftsman
Review, markup and approve draft diagrams
o Transmission Design Documentation
As directed, lookup, request and review hardcopy, Client on-line data, databases, electrical data book reports, files, diagrams, and historical documentation.
Identify and document discrepancies in data/documentation/databases.
Report discrepancies of non-SED products to document/file/data POCs.
o Support calculation of mutual impedances of transmission lines
Lookup, request and review a wide variety of transmission documents and databases: including transmission contracts, construction data books, transmission one-lines, plan diagrams, profile diagrams, substation layout diagrams, and transmission structure diagrams.
Identify spacing between conductors.
Draft new and draft updates to existing mutual impedance transmission line diagrams.
Provide draft diagrams to draftsman.
Review, markup, and approved diagram drafts.
o Support identifying and tracking planned, new and modified transmission facilities. Keep SED engineers apprised of changes.
• Support calculation of Transformer Impedances:
o Locate desired Transformer Test Reports and transformer nameplate diagrams.
o Research changes to Transformer placements: new transformers, moved transformers, retired transformers, etc.
o Research location of transformers.
o Research disposition of transformers including fixed tap positions.
• Acquire data for SED:
o Data to be requested from others:
Identify party(ies) to be queried.
Prepare draft questionnaires.
Submit to engineer(s) for approval.
Broadcast approved questionnaire.
Compile results as directed by SED engineering staff.
Provide to SED engineer staff.
o Data from documents, files and/or databases:
Review assigned documents, files and/or databases.
Identify and capture desired data.
Compile results as directed by SED engineering staff.
Provide to SED engineering staff.
• Maintain SED Diagram binders: including Transmission One lines, Dispatcher One Lines, Construction One lines and Transformer Nameplate Diagrams. Add new and revised diagrams following diagram organization and properly dispose of all superseded diagrams.
• Verify all official records are accurately maintained for auditing purposes.
• Maintain file records in accordance with the Information Governance & Lifecycle Management (IGLM) policies and procedures.
• Update and maintain SED SharePoint site posted content including all SED SharePoint site posted documents, diagrams, and reports:
o Follow SED SharePoint site nomenclature for naming files.
o Follow SED SharePoint site convention for creating files of multiple documents and/or diagrams.
o Save or create all SED posted content as computer-readable.
o Post to SED SharePoint site in appropriate page and folder.
o Archive superseded diagrams.
o Archive in SED SharePoint site archive library following folder/file organization.
• Prepare for and attend SED meetings and project meetings as requested; follow through on any assignments provide to appropriate personnel for completion.
• Provide input and recommendations to SED and/or Foreign-Owned (FO) Lead of areas and processes where improvements and efficiencies may be achieved; update and maintain SED processes as requested by the Client manager.
• Use one-lines and datasets within and across select Client sources to analyze topology, equipment modeling, and facility ratings.
• Help create data request sheets to collect updated information from customer utilities.
• Collaborate with Client’s Customer Service Reliability Program (TPCR) and customers for modeling data communication and compliance documentation.
• Continually maintain and update customer modeling data including topology, equipment parameters, and ratings in TPMG databases and SED folders for each equipment type owned by the customer.
• Compare data from similar requests to check consistency and validity of data received.
• Develop and apply data metrics for quality control on data received.
• Verify data owner identification is aligned for each customer within the model.
• Issue updates to in-use powerflow base-cases to maintain modeling accuracy.
• Assist in developing data management documentation for internal processes and desk procedures.
Education & Corresponding Experience:
• A degree in Engineering/Engineering Technician, Mathematics, CAD or closely related technical field is preferred.
o With an applicable Bachelor’s degree, 10+ years of experience is required.
o With an applicable Associate’s degree, 12+ years of experience is required.
o Without an applicable degree, 14+ years of experience is required.
• Experience should include working in an engineering/technical environment and progressively more technical in nature
Required Technical Skills & Experience:
• Familiarity with transmission system data management, data collection, and processes.
• Knowledge of Powerflow modeling software such as PowerWorld Simulator, GE PSLF or other closely related power modeling software.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
• Familiarity with power system equipment characteristics, nameplate ratings and system modeling for different types of power system equipment.
• Experience with transmission network model databases.
• Familiarity with system electrical as-built and design data and conductor/tower configurations.
• Experience reading transformer test reports and nameplates.
• Knowledge of utility transmission systems and transmission facilities.
• Experience with ProjectWise, AutoCAD, Access, SharePoint and Visual Basic.
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment screening that may include drug testing, background/criminal check, and if applicable, must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
About APR Staffing:
APR Staffing was born from the merger of two well-respected technical staffing firms in Portland. ieSolutions, founded in 2002, enjoyed an impressive reputation as one of the largest locally-owned and most respected technical staffing companies. Professional Resource Group, aka Data Resource Group, founded in 2009, also earned regional acclaim for being a fast-growing and highly-motivated professional staffing agency. Both companies have been recent award winners for the Portland Business Journal's Fastest-Growing Private Companies. The two firms, now as APR Staffing, make for one of the fastest-growing and most-respected professional and technical staffing companies in Oregon and Southwest Washington.
Collaborating with our customers, we augment their workforce with technical and administrative professionals. We provide only high-caliber, professional-grade resources throughout the Pacific Northwest.
Our employees receive a competitive compensation package which includes health benefits, disability insurance, access to a 401k plan, paid-time-off and a continued professional development/education benefit.
APR Staffing is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.