Title: Electronic Engineering Technician 2 – Telecom
Specialty: Fiber Optic Test Technician
Job #: 9127
Location: Vancouver, WA
Travel Up to 95% to various field locations
Job Length: Multi-year opportunity with a full benefits package
The primary focus of this position will be to provide technical support to the Communication Test and Energization (TETD) group within the Commissioning and Testing Services (TET) organization at client. This Electronic Engineering Technician position will support all aspects of the field installation testing, analysis, and final test reports in support of Project Management and Telecommunications Design for radio and fiber optic field installations projects, including schedule support, quality acceptance, conformance with project schedules, and coordination of work with engineers, other technicians and craftsman, lineman and contractors.
- Review engineering designs to verify conformance to existing client policies and standards for installation of communications and fiber optic systems.
- Prepare and draft accurate “as built” drawings for communications and fiber optic systems.
- Prepare and draft fiber optic system test summary reports for maintenance personnel.
- Act as communication projects coordinator through all aspects of the construction activities from planning, project management, to construction management, internal electrical crews or contract electrical crews scheduling, as well as through energization.
- Assemble project materials, review for completeness and disburse completed materials packages to appropriate lead T&E engineers.
- Prepare and draft various progress and status reports, test equipment requests and work-vehicle requirements.
- Perform changes of circuitry or components with guidance from senior engineer or technician in order that systems may be made operative.
- Assist with acceptance and performance testing of communications, telemetry, and other electronic systems throughout the client service area as follows:
- FM radios with frequencies up to 1,000 megahertz including fixed, mobile and portable systems used for voice, digital control and telemetry;
- Microwave systems with frequencies above 1,000 megahertz including terminals and repeaters with high and low density multiplex;
- High and ultrahigh speed tone equipment from transfer trip relay systems;
- Sequential Event Recorders and Annunciator systems at substations and control centers.
- Coordinate with TF District personnel and Project Engineers to test fiber optic cable installations.
- Assist with acceptance and performance testing of Long Haul Fiber Optic cable testing including patch panels, fiber reels, fiber spans, and fiber optic cable vaults.
- Perform Optical Time Domain Reflectometer (OTDR) testing and power meter testing of individual fibers in cables.
- Perform Characterization Testing of individual fibers and fiber optic cables.
- Perform acceptance and performance testing of digital computer control systems for power circuit breaker control, switchyard alarm supervision and telemetry throughout the client service area, including:
- Perform testing and commissioning under supervision of lead engineer:
- Auxiliary and standby power supply systems including batteries, chargers, generators with their associated controls and enclosures;
- Digital and analog telemetry systems for automatic generation controls;
- Miscellaneous systems including fault locators, telephones, public address and intercoms.
- Work with Testing Engineers in TECE and PSC, assisting in evaluation of control and telecommunication equipment. Operational equipment types include SCADA, Transfer Trip, Modems, Telemetering, Telephone PBX, TDM, SONET Optical Carrier, VHF Radio, UHF Radio, and Microwave Radio.
- Assist Testing Engineers with problem resolution by making cables, running cable, moving equipment, running tests, taking readings with test equipment and documenting results.
- Test equipment and modules in inventory for Quality Assurance.
- Provide test equipment management by assisting in performing inventory, and facilitating repair or calibration.
- Interact with test equipment manufacturers for the purpose of test equipment evaluation, resolving performance issues, or developing routine automated testing.
- Interact with equipment manufacturers Technical Assistance Centers (TAC) to resolve technical problems on equipment. Also interact with manufacturers to obtain equipment performance specifications and other technical documentation or information.
- Help SMEs (Subject Matter Experts) setup equipment for special tests and to perform evaluations.
- Perform wiring and interconnecting of equipment, including fiber optics, in a laboratory environment to simulate operational equipment for equipment evaluation and testing..
- Draft basic CAD drawings using Microsoft Visio, and/or Bentley MicroStation.
- Document procedures and develop reports, using Word, Excel, and Adobe Acrobat Professional, using technical documentation.
Education & Corresponding Experience
- A degree in Mathematics, Computer Science, Electronic Engineering, Electronic Engineering Technology (or closely related field) is preferred.
- With an applicable Bachelor’s degree, 3 years of experience is required.
- With an applicable Associates degree or certification, 5 years of experience is required.
- Without an applicable degree, 9 years of experience is required.
- Experience must include directly-related practical work experience in a technical/engineering environment.
Required Technical Skills & Experience
- 2 years’ experience performing OTDR and Characterization of fiber optic cables using the JDSU T-BERD mainframe platform.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Knowledge of engineering concepts, principals, and practices applicable to components and facilities found on a regional transmission system.
Founded in 2002, ieSolutions is recognized as one of the largest locally owned Talent Staffing Services company headquartered in Portland, Oregon. We deliver our best each day to provide Reliable, Fair, Collaborative and Compassionate services to our customers, candidates, and employees.
Collaborating with our customers, we augment their workforce with technical and administrative talent. We provide information technology, engineering, operation, technician, analyst, project management and administrative talent to our clients throughout the Pacific Northwest.
Our employees receive a competitive compensation package which includes health benefits, disability insurance, access to a 401k plan, paid-time-off and a continued professional development/education benefit.
ieSolutions is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.