Title: Electronics Engineer 3 – Sys Planning/Coordinator
Specialty: Communications & Control Planning
Location: Vancouver, WA
Duration: 1 yr. + (multi-year)
Applications Due 12/5/2018
ieSolutions is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EOE). M/F/D/V. Security Clearance Requirement: Applicants selected will be subject to a government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. US Citizenship REQUIRED
This contract Electronics Engineer 3 position will work in client’s Communications/Control Planning organization. The position will work interactively with Network Study Engineers, Project Coordination Engineers, Project Managers, Customer Service Engineers, Account Executives, Design Engineers, Control Center Hardware Engineers, Technical Operation Engineers, Field Service Engineers and Estimators to aid in the development of work which is within scope, meets project and regulatory requirements and is the best overall plan of service for client.
This position will provide assistance to the Supervisor of Communications/Control Planning group by developing plans of services for upgrades, replacements, and expansion to client’s operational communications system. This work will also include providing technical support for network transmission, network interconnections, generation integration, and customer service projects in alignment with Asset Management Strategies. This position will aid in Communications & Control (C&C) Planning assignments for reimbursable study requests and capital projects which include plans for communications, control and data systems which affect the transmission system.
- Draft telecommunications decisions to lease or share operational circuits on Bonneville’s communications systems.
- Work within a team to draft Communications/Control Planning (C&C) plans-of-service (PoS) for reimbursable study agreements. Study agreements may include requests by other utilities and organizations and for capital related projects.
- Work with the Power System Planning group to identify the required telecommunications elements and document the minimum C&C requirements to fulfill project requirements.
- Draft and recommend C&C PoS packages for communications circuits and telecom paths to fulfill requirements of client communications, control, and relaying requirements for existing and new sites; this may include travel to remote locations to verify feasibility of C&C PoS.
- Document PoS on Project Requirements Diagrams (PRDs) website.
- Draft back-of envelope (BoE) estimates
- Draft the C&C portion of the Study Report
- Using draft PRD documents create and submit Estimate Requests (ERs) for review and approval.
- Draft telecommunications decisions to lease or share operational circuits on client’s communications systems for review and signature by the Supervisor of Communication/Control Planning.
- Using planning tools such as Pathloss and TCIS, provide analysis of Microwave paths, SONET configurations; results are used to create PoS packages.
- Communicate technical information verbally and in writing to technical and non-technical users.
- Provide project / task updates (oral or written) as requested by the Manager of Communications and Grid Modeling and/or Supervisor of Communications/Control Planning.
Education & Corresponding Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Electronic Engineering or other closely-related Engineering field is required.
- 10+ years previous electronics/electrical engineering experience, with a diversified knowledge of engineering concepts, principles and practices experience, is required.
Required Technical Skills & Experience
- 5+ years of experience with the following:
- Experience Electric Utility sector with an emphasis on C&C Planning, Electronic Design, Communications Maintenance, Technical Operations
- Experience developing plans-of-service for communication, control and data systems used to operate and control the power grid at large Electric Utilities.
- Experience in developing cost estimates for communication items.
- Experience in metering and telemetry requirements as related to interchange projects.
- Experience disseminating technical information in writing and orally.
- Experience in planning digital radio systems and long-haul fiber optic systems, preferably SONET systems.
- Developing communications/control plans in conjunction with fulfilling transmission service.
- Experience developing options, evaluating, and providing a preferred plan for meeting communications/control system functional requirements
- Working knowledge of transmission and operational telecommunications systems
- Valid U.S. Driver’s License is required.
Preferred Skills & Experience
- Knowledge of the NERC and WECC Planning Standards as they apply to the Protective Relaying, Metering, Special Protection Systems and communication systems
- Experience applying WECC “Communication System Performance Guide for Protective Relaying Systems
- Experience in communication requirements related to relaying and Remedial Action Schemes (RAS)
- Knowledge of and/or experience with planning or designing Ethernet-based WAN systems, preferably in a utility environment
- Knowledge of and skill in applying the following is strongly preferred:
- Communication network operation concepts and methods;
- Communication network architecture principles and concepts;
- Communication network operation, performance, planning;
- Planning of communications, control and data systems for network transmission, network interconnections and customer service projects.