Job Number: 1920
Title: Financial Analyst- consultant
Duration: 6 months+
Location: Portland, OR
Immediate opening for Financial Analyst on a 6+ month contract in Portland, OR. Independently provides a full range of accounting and general business analytical support, including the application of complex accounting concepts; review work of other team members and suggests new or enhanced analyses and processes for the team. Utility industry experience is highly desirable.
The ideal candidate will have current skills in:
- Accounting Analysis: Accounting Research: Researches, documents and communicates complex issues and analyzes the downstream and upstream impacts of transactional decisions to develop recommendations; communicates to internal and external parties regarding accounting interpretations.
- Financial Reporting: Provides independent support, as needed, for all aspects of the monthly, quarterly and annual financial reporting processes, leading the team to resolve complex issues and finalize exhibits; updates processes to respond to changing requirements.
- Compliance: Performs control activities to ensure compliance with internal control policies; reviews and evaluates the compliance process to determine if the organization is being responsive to the needs of client.
- Internal Consulting: Advises leadership on a broad range of accounting decisions and methodologies; responsible for working with cross-functional teams to respond to routine and complex management requests.
- Budget Support: Develops complex budget forecasts and assists in researching/resolving escalated issues; reviews budget entries prepared by others; advises management on key decisions; maintains budgets and responds to management questions/requests.
- Financial Systems : Gains proficiency with accounting organization-specific applications and understands how to perform complex calculations/tasks; works with IT and/or vendors to test updates, patches, issues, implementations.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
SOX Controls and Procedures (40%)
- Plan and coordinate updates to flowcharts and risk control matrices documentation for financial and business processes.
- Ensure effective performance of controls and provide support in performing assessments of control deficiencies identified within business processes including developing and implementing remediation plans.
- Perform annual risk assessment and segregation of duties analyses and address internal control and procedure issues with clients.
- Assist in the coordination and reporting of quarterly process and cycle owner assessments of the effectiveness of client’s Disclosure Controls and Procedures (DC&P) and Internal Control over Financial Reporting.
- Communicate and provide training on control standards for business cycles and processes.
- Initiate and maintain the quarterly DC&P checklist in compliance with client’s DC&P Policy.
SEC Reporting (30%)
- Support the financial reporting team in the preparation and review of the SEC Form 10-Ks, 10-Qs, and 8-Ks.
- Prepare assigned financial statements, disclosures, tables or other items for SEC Forms 10-K and 10-Q.
- Support other SEC reporting processes by reviewing disclosure statements such as Earnings Releases, Proxy Statements, Annual Report to Shareholders and SEC Act filings.
- Ensure reports are filed timely in compliance with GAAP, SEC rules and regulations, and SOX.
- Address specific accounting and reporting issues with clients and internal and external auditors.
- Review the work of other team members and provide support as necessary.
FERC and OPUC Reporting (20%)
- Assist in the preparation, review and timely filing of the annual FERC Form 1 and the Quarterly FERC Form 3-Q reports.
- Ensure reports are in compliance with the FERC Uniform System of Accounts, Accounting Releases.
- Ensure reconciliations are performed between FERC Forms 1 and 3-Q with SEC Forms 10-K and 10-Q.
- Address specific FERC accounting and reporting issues with customers and external auditors.
- Prepare assigned financial statements or other schedules for FERC Form 1 and 3-Q.
- Accounting Research Including New and Proposed Accounting Standards and Reporting Requirements (10%)
- Perform research of complex accounting and reporting issues and provide timely recommendations for decision making and implementation.
- Provide accounting expertise in addressing complex accounting and reporting issues on proposed transactions by client.
- Stay current and provide timely synopsis of client impacts of new and proposed accounting standards and reporting requirements.
- Periodically update management on new and proposed accounting and reporting requirements.
- Provide consultation to customers on GAAP, SEC rules and requirements (including SOX), PCAOB developments, FERC and OPUC rules and releases.
- Requires a Bachelor’s degree in accounting with CPA or CPA candidate preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in accounting, auditing, financial reporting or related field in a medium to large size company.
- Intermediate knowledge of accounting principles and concepts, including GAAP and regulatory accounting theory and practices
- Ability to research accounting reference materials and formulate concise recommendations.
- Effective Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint skills and the ability to quickly develop a working knowledge of ERP systems.
- Working knowledge of other accounting disciplines, such as tax
- Intermediate knowledge of internal controls, including the requirements of SOX
- Intermediate knowledge of accounting and finance business processes and policies
- Intermediate knowledge of relevant utility industry operations and financial regulations
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills and demonstrated ability to learn and retain technical skills and knowledge.
- Excellent human relations, communications and team behavior skills; must demonstrate effective utilization of client’s Guiding Behaviors.
- Demonstrated ability to independently manage time and work projects effectively, including establishing project goals, tracking status and communicating final results/recommendations, with minimal supervision.