Title:Project Manager 2 (Engineering)
Specialty: Transmission Telecommunications, Facilities and Security
Job #: 9542
Application Due Date: 2020-06-25
Location: Vancouver, WA
Job Length: Multi-year opportunity with a full benefits package
This contract Project Manager (Engineering) position will support and assist capital project execution for the Project Management Office (PMO) Telecommunication, Security and Facilities (TEPF) organization. This Project Manager (PM) position will facilitate multiple Transmission and Corporate projects, of a medium sized complexity, visibility and sensitivity from inception to conclusion. This work may include developing project plans; and, facilitating, and coordinating activities for multiple designated projects to verify that goals or objectives of the project are accomplished within the prescribed time frame and funding parameters. Transmission telecommunication, security and facilities projects may include the following; installation and replacement of UHF, fiber and telecommunication equipment projects, integration of small customer projects, replacement of assets relative to security upgrades for NERC/CIP sites, replacement of assets relative to facilities and critical infrastructure, substation projects for the replacement of aging High Voltage equipment and more. This position will collaborate and work closely with Client executives, management, decision-making bodies, technical subject matter experts (SMEs), financial analysts, and representatives from across Client, including Real Property, Environmental, Project Engineers (PE), Legal, Supply Chain, etc.
• Responsible for medium-sized projects (typically less than $25M cost).
Note: Typically as it refers to project size is determined by an average of the workers assigned projects and also includes the complexity, visibility and sensitivity of the projects within the past year and is not based on a single project funding amount. All documentation should clearly identify the worker as a Project Manager contracted to Client and include the name of the worker’s employer. If performing project coordination work, it should NOT account for more than 1/3rd of the billable hours.
• Support and facilitate Client manager-assigned project or multiple projects, from beginning to end in collaboration with senior management, external industry entities and stakeholders, providing expert guidance on the PMI-based project management methodology, best practices, and internal skill development as requested by and with guidance from the Client manager, team lead or other personnel with the authority to do so, including:
o Recommending an overall roadmap of efforts required to achieve program initiatives and project objectives (see Note above);
o Coordinating activities for Client manager-assigned projects that enable goals or objectives to be accomplished within the prescribed time frame and funding parameters, escalating concerns to appropriate Client manager / personnel;
o Working with appropriate Client manager / personnel to facilitate resolution of conflicting priorities and requirements, as well as conflicting team positions in order to build consensus among stakeholders and project team members;
o Actively engaging with the business to properly understand the business needs, identify dependencies, project expectations, milestones, resources and other initiatives, and assist the Client manager in deploying the solution.
• Support and facilitate the following deliverables:
o Scope Definition and Management;
o Process and System Design requirements;
o Communication and project management best practice gap analysis.
• Support and facilitate the following functions:
o Written and verbal sponsor communication;
o Project team communications and coordination;
o Inter-project team communications and coordination;
o Team meeting and sponsor meeting management.
Project Meeting Coordination and Facilitation:
• Coordinate Project Meetings (facilitate defined scope, kick-off, monthly project team, special team meetings, etc.) using Microsoft Outlook. Request, research, and validate project team members that are required and optional attendees. Schedule appropriate date and time, conference room, telephone bridges, video capabilities, or other amenities that may be required;
• Schedule and facilitate project team meetings and coordinate activities of sub-teams;
• Gather information on Meeting Agenda topics, create agenda and distribute agenda and other documentation needed during the project meeting;
• Confirm and set up conference room, Conference Bridge, laptop, projector, maps, and other meeting materials at the beginning of project meeting;
• Document discussion during Project Meetings. Distribute meeting minutes. Call out Action Items and decisions made during meetings.
• In the absence of the senior Project Manager, work with the Client manager to recommend the best action to take for meetings: cancel, reschedule, facilitate the meeting, or recommend a meeting leader;
• Participate in TEP group level project manager meetings;
• Organize, coordinate and facilitate the work of project team(s) and serve as liaison between business and technical aspects of projects, includes recommending project stages and assessing business implications for each stage.
Project Tracking & Document Management:
• Monitor progress of assigned projects to track timelines, milestones, deadlines, standards and targets, alerting appropriate Client manager / personnel of any obstacles / potential delays to project timelines, targets or success; provide corrective action recommendations;
• Facilitate and monitor/track project budgets (project funding and overall budget);
• Alert Client manager of and obtain appropriate authorization for any potential changes to project cost, schedule or performance;
• Facilitate project tasks on a daily basis (may include multiple projects) with regard to time, budget, schedule and quality. Provide updates and findings to Client manager;
• Collaborate with Client manager and internal stakeholders to facilitate the tasks and activities of project team(s) and to properly understand related business needs, dependencies on other initiatives, and how best to effectively deploy end products;
• Collaborate and work with project sponsors and Client performance managers to remove obstacles impacting timely project completion;
• Issue project status reports on a regular or as requested basis;
• Track and maintain project related documents on SharePoint, the organization’s workspace, and elsewhere. Check dates and decisions on documents that are known to change frequently and update static documents regularly so the most current information is available;
• Anticipate and identify potential areas of risk and obtain guidance from appropriate Client manager or Contracting Officer;
• Track, monitor and facilitate resolution of issues and risks identified within the projects, as well as compliance related dependencies;
• Maintain issue, risk, and/or action logs; Draft and recommend contingency plans to minimize / eliminate risks on an ongoing basis for review and approval / acceptance by appropriate Client manager / personnel;
• Compile lessons learned throughout the project lifecycle, facilitate project “lessons learned” meetings and create a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements.
Work Plan Management:
• Provide recommendations regarding project expectations, approach, roadmaps, work plans, deliverables and goals;
• Draft project plans, resource strategies and funding estimates required to advance each assigned project / defined effort;
• Maintain consistent communication with project sponsors, performance managers, and stakeholders on the progress of the project compared to the work plan;
• Identify and request necessary subject matter experts needed during the project;
• Forecast and recommend / request appropriate project resources to fulfill project needs; recommended resource requests must be submitted to, coordinated with and provided by appropriate Client performance managers;
• Collaborate with business units and Client performance managers to resolve resource allocation issues.
Project Team Assistance:
• Collaborate with the Client manager (or assigned designee) to define the frequency and content of status reports from the project team; review and analyze results, troubleshooting concerns or problem areas and provide mitigation options and weighted recommendations;
• With the review and approval from the Client manager, define project success criteria – Key Performance Indicator (KPI) - and disseminate status reports of key deliverables to all involved teams throughout the project life cycle;
• Provide background information, technical input, options and recommendations that facilitate project decision-making. This may include, at management request, arranging, attending and facilitating decision-making sessions/meetings with Client management, executives and key stakeholders, including, drafting agendas, answering technical questions, and presenting information, options and recommendations for decision-maker consideration;
• When necessary, facilitate the transition of a project or program to another project manager including any training, documentation, or meeting coordination required to bring the new PM fully up to speed on all critical aspects of the work and introduce them to executive sponsors and key stakeholders.
Education & Corresponding Experience:
• A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business Administration or Management, Organizational Development, Computer Science or other related technical discipline is preferred.
o Bachelor’s Degree in applicable field, 5+ years direct work experience is required.
o Bachelor’s Degree NOT in applicable fields, 7+ years direct work experience is required.
o With no Degree, 10+ years direct work experience is required.
• Experience should include direct project management experience including all aspects of process development and execution.
Required Technical Skills & Experience:
• Experience reading and understand engineering drawings.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
• Experience with electric utility industry data.
• PMI or PMP certification.
• Working knowledge of the Electrical Substation environment, functional and technical specifications, and life-cycle management.
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Project.
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment screening that may include drug testing, background/criminal check, and if applicable, must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
About APR Staffing:
APR Staffing was born from the merger of two well-respected technical staffing firms in Portland. ieSolutions, founded in 2002, enjoyed an impressive reputation as one of the largest locally-owned and most respected technical staffing companies. Professional Resource Group, aka Data Resource Group, founded in 2009, also earned regional acclaim for being a fast-growing and highly-motivated professional staffing agency. Both companies have been recent award winners for the Portland Business Journal's Fastest-Growing Private Companies. The two firms, now as APR Staffing, make for one of the fastest-growing and most-respected professional and technical staffing companies in Oregon and Southwest Washington.
Collaborating with our customers, we augment their workforce with technical and administrative professionals. We provide only high-caliber, professional-grade resources throughout the Pacific Northwest.
APR Staffing is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.