Project Manager 2 – Transmission / Engineering
Location: Vancouver, WA
Job Length: Multi-year opportunity with a full benefits package
This full-time contract Project Manager 2 - Engineering position is located in the Transmission Project Management (TEP) organization. This position will facilitate Transmission Lines, Substation, or Telecommunications type infrastructure type projects from inception to conclusion within TEP (Transmission Project Management) organization.
The Project Manager plans, facilitates, and coordinates activities for a designated project to verify that goals or objectives of the project are accomplished within the prescribed time frame and funding parameters. Transmission Line projects may include: taps and switches, insulator replacements, integration of small customer projects, replacing aging wood poles or small wood pole line rebuilds, structure re-location projects, access roads, fiber and more. Substation projects may include equipment replacements, additions, expansions, or retirements. Telecommunications projects may include new or modified radio sites, relaying, or other telecommunications infrastructure projects.
- Support and facilitate manager-assigned project or multiple projects, from beginning to end in collaboration with senior management, external industry entities and stakeholders, providing expert guidance on the PMI-based project management methodology, best practices, and internal skill development as requested by and with guidance from manager, team lead or other personnel with the authority to do so, including.
- Actively engage with the business to properly understand the business needs, identify dependencies, project expectations, milestones, resources and other initiatives, and assist the manager in deploying the solution.
- Identify and request necessary subject matter experts needed during the project.Forecast and recommend / request appropriate project resources to fulfill project needs; recommended resource requests must be submitted to, coordinated with and provided by appropriate performance managers; Collaborate with business units and performance managers to resolve resource allocation issues; Facilitate “kick-off” meetings with sponsors, stakeholders, and partners and validate approval/buy in of project plans and commitment of resources.
- Schedule and facilitate project team meetings and coordinate activities of sub-teams.Participate in TEP group level project manager meetings.
- Recommend an overall roadmap of efforts required to achieve program initiatives and project objectives; Provide recommendations regarding project expectations, approach, roadmaps, work plans, deliverables and goal
- Draft project plans, resource strategies and funding estimates required to advance each assigned project / defined effort; Administer project tasks on a daily basis (may include multiple projects) with regard to time, budget, schedule and quality. Provide updates and findings to manager.
- Facilitate and monitor/track project budgets (project funding and overall budget).
- Alert manager of and obtain appropriate authorization for any potential changes to project cost, schedule or performance.
- Organize, coordinate and facilitate the work of project team(s) and serve as liaison between business and technical aspects of projects, includes recommending project stages and assessing business implications for each stage.
- Monitor progress of assigned projects to track timelines, milestones, deadlines, standards and targets, alerting appropriate manager / personnel of any obstacles / potential delays to project timelines, targets or success; provide corrective action recommendations.
- Coordinate activities for manager-assigned projects that enable goals or objectives to be accomplished within the prescribed time frame and funding parameters, escalating concerns to appropriate manager / personnel;collaborate with manager and internal stakeholders to facilitate the tasks and activities of project team(s) and to properly understand related business needs, dependencies on other initiatives, and how best to effectively deploy end products; work with appropriate manager / personnel to facilitate resolution of conflicting priorities and requirements, as well as conflicting team positions in order to build consensus among stakeholders and project team members; Issue project status reports on a regular or as requested basis.
- Maintain consistent communication with project sponsors, performance managers, and stakeholders on the progress of the project compared to the work plan;
- Collaborate and work with project sponsors and performance managers to remove obstacles impacting timely project completion; Draft a final project report, including project “lessons-learned”.
- Anticipate and identify potential areas of risk and obtain guidance from appropriate manager or Contracting Officer; Track, monitor and facilitate resolution of issues and risks identified within the projects, as well as compliance related dependencies; Maintain issue, risk, and/or action logs;Draft and recommend contingency plans to minimize / eliminate risks on an ongoing basis for review and approval / acceptance by appropriate manager / personnel.
- Collaborate with the manager (or assigned designee) to define the frequency and content of status reports from the project team; review and analyze results, troubleshooting concerns or problem areas and provide mitigation options and weighted recommendations.Support and facilitate the following functions.
- Written and verbal sponsor communication.Project team communications and coordination; Inter-project team communications and coordination; Team meeting and sponsor meeting management with the review and approval from the manager, define project success criteria – Key Performance Indicator (KPI) - and disseminate status reports of key deliverables to all involved teams throughout the project life cycle.
- Facilitate project post mortems and create a recommendations report in order to identify successful and unsuccessful project elements.
- When necessary, facilitate the transition of a project or program to another project manager including any training, documentation, or meeting coordination required to bring the new PM fully up to speed on all critical aspects of the work and introduce them to executive sponsors and key stakeholders.Provide background information, technical input, options and recommendations that facilitate project decision-making. This may include, at management request, arranging, attending and facilitating decision-making sessions/meetings with management, executives and key stakeholders
Education & Corresponding Experience (required on matrix)
- A Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business Administration or Management, Organizational Development, Computer Science or other related technical discipline is preferred.
- Bachelor’s Degree in applicable field, 5 years direct work experience is required.
- Bachelor’s Degree NOT in applicable fields, 7 years direct work experience is required.
- With no Degree, 10 years direct work experience is required.
- Experience should include direct project management experience including all aspects of process development and execution.
Required Technical Skills & Experience (required on matrix)
Experience reading and understand engineering drawings.
Preferred Skills & Experience (optional on matrix)
- Experience with electric utility industry data.
- PMI or PMP certification.
- Working knowledge of the Electrical Substation environment, functional and technical specifications, and life-cycle management.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Project.
Additional Requirements (not required on matrix)
Valid U.S. Driver’s License is required.
Founded in 2002, ieSolutions is recognized as one of the largest locally owned Talent Staffing Services company headquartered in Portland, Oregon. We deliver our best each day to provide Reliable, Fair, Collaborative and Compassionate services to our customers, candidates, and employees.
Collaborating with our customers, we augment their workforce with technical and administrative talent. We provide information technology, engineering, operation, technician, analyst, project management and administrative talent to our clients throughout the Pacific Northwest.
Our employees receive a competitive compensation package which includes health benefits, disability insurance, access to a 401k plan, paid-time-off and a continued professional development/education benefit.
ieSolutions is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.