Title: Project Manager 3 (Engineering)
Specialty: Electric Utility Control Center
Job #: 9300
Application Due Date:2019-11-20
Location: Vancouver, WA
Job Length: Multi-year opportunity with a full benefits package
This contract Project Manager (Engineering) 3 is located in the Client Transmission Technology (TT) Operational Services (TTO) organization. The position will collaborate with business analysts, project managers, technical Subject Matter Experts (SMEs) within the various Transmission Technology organizations and their internal customers to develop program and project strategies and plans and will provide input, recommendations and assistance with the development and implementation of technical projects necessary for the reliable and secure operation of the Bulk Electric System (BES). This position will work closely with TTO management, TT Tier 3 and Tier 4 leadership, TT’s Security and Compliance Team, Transmission / Client business function leaders (TO, TE, TS, etc.), and other TT customers to provide engineering solutions for program and project needs, aligned with Client and organizational goals, priorities, and any Key Strategic Initiatives (KSIs).
• Utilizing industry best practices, consult with TTO and senior management to provide recommendations on all aspects of projects’ System Life Cycle (SLC), including business case development, functional and non-functional requirements, risk identification and mitigation, schedule and budget, design, engineering, implementation, and transition to Operations and Maintenance (O&M).
o Review project proposals originating outside TT and identify projects’ impacts on TTO;
o Review O&M processes and procedures and recommend revisions to improve efficiency and quality.
• Support and facilitate Client manager-assigned project or multiple projects, from beginning to end in collaboration with senior management, external industry entities and stakeholders, providing technical expertise on project management methodology, best practices, and internal skill development as requested by and with guidance from the Client manager, team lead or other personnel with the authority to do so, including:
o Actively engage with the business to properly understand the business needs, identify dependencies, project expectations, milestones, resources and other initiatives, and assist the Client manager in deploying the solution;
o In collaboration with Client manager, responsible for facilitating engineering projects from cradle to grave, including planning, design, construction and completion;
o Acts as a point of contact to engineers and Project Managers working on control center projects;
o Identify and request necessary subject matter experts (SME’s) needed during the project;
o Forecast and request appropriate project resources to fulfill project needs; recommended resource requests must be submitted to, coordinated with and provided by appropriate Client performance managers;
o Collaborate with business units and Client performance managers to help resolve resource allocation issues;
o Facilitate “kick-off” meetings with sponsors, stakeholders, and partners and validate approval/buy in of project plans and commitment of resources;
o Schedule and facilitate project team meetings and coordinate activities of sub-teams;
o Provide technical guidance while building team consensus;
o Participate in group level project status meetings;
o Recommend an overall roadmap of efforts required to achieve program initiatives and project objectives;
o Provide Client manager a program level overview of all engineering projects and their interdependencies;
o Provide recommendations regarding project expectations, approach, roadmaps, work plans, deliverables and goals;
o Draft project plans, resource strategies and funding estimates required to advance each assigned project;
o Facilitate and monitor project budgets (project funding and overall budget);
o Monitor project team efforts to ensure technical accuracy and completeness, alerting the Client manager of any concerns;
o Coordinate with operations, maintenance, construction and material procurement groups on all project issues;
o Alert Client manager of and obtain appropriate authorization for any potential changes to project cost, schedule or performance;
o Organize, coordinate and facilitate the work of project team(s) and serve as liaison between business and technical aspects of projects, includes recommending project stages and assessing business implications for each stage;
o Monitor progress of assigned projects to track timelines, milestones, deadlines, standards and targets, alerting appropriate Client manager / personnel of any risks to project timelines, targets or success; provide corrective action recommendations;
o Coordinate activities for projects that enable goals or objectives to be accomplished within the prescribed time frame and funding parameters, escalating concerns to appropriate Client manager / personnel;
o Work with appropriate Client manager / personnel to facilitate resolution of conflicting priorities and requirements, as well as conflicting team positions in order to build consensus among stakeholders and project team members;
o Issue project status reports on a regular or as requested basis;
o Collaborate and work with project sponsors and Client performance managers to remove obstacles impacting timely project completion;
o Work with Program Managers to establish the most effective response to failing control center assets and construction of replacement systems, considering performance, cost, reliability impacts and problems related to grid operation issues;
o Draft a final project report, including project “lessons-learned” when required by Client manager.
• Take a pro-active stance on project risk management by:
o Anticipating and identifying potential areas of risk and obtaining guidance from appropriate Client manager or Contracting Officer;
o Tracking, monitoring and facilitating resolution of issues and risks identified within the projects;
o Maintaining issue, risk, and/or action logs;
o Developing, drafting and recommending contingency plans to manage risks on an ongoing basis for review by appropriate Client manager / personnel.
• Perform the following functions:
o Written and verbal sponsor communication;
o Project team communications and coordination;
o Inter-project team communications and coordination;
o Team meeting and sponsor meeting management.
• With review and approval from the Client manager, develop and recommend project success criteria and disseminate status reports of key deliverables to all involved teams throughout the project life cycle.
• For large projects, may coordinate and provide guidance to other Projects Managers that are managing sub-projects.
• Interact and collaborate with external stakeholders, often navigating complex business relationships.
• When necessary, facilitate the successful transition of a project or program of projects to another project manager including any training, documentation, or meeting coordination required to bring the new PM fully up to speed on all critical aspects of the work and introduce them to executive sponsors and key stakeholders.
• Provide background information, technical input, options and recommendations that facilitate project decision-making. This may include, at management request, arranging, attending and facilitating decision-making sessions/meetings with Client management, executives and key stakeholders, including, drafting agendas, answering technical questions, and presenting information, options and recommendations for decision-maker consideration.
• Organize site visits with the project team members, as necessary for the project. Most projects will require up to three site visits which may require overnight travel.
• Draft, submit for management approval, and track business cases for Control Center projects.
• Organize, coordinate and facilitate the work of project team(s) and serve as liaison between business and technical aspects of projects, includes recommending project stages and assessing business implications for each stage.
• Facilitate closeout accounting for the projects assigned by reviewing final costs and verifying the work order costs match the final invoice to the customer. This must be approved by TTO supervision prior to distribution.
• Draft project contracts for development and signature by Client management.
• Provide and coordinate internal and external reviews of project contracts.
• Verify internal project tracking is maintained as required within supporting databases.
Education & Corresponding Experience:
• Master’s Degree is preferred.
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Business Administration or Management, Organizational Development, Computer Science or other related technical discipline is preferred.
• Bachelor’s Degree in applicable fields: 10+ years’ direct work experience in a project management capacity, including all aspects of process development and execution is required.
• Bachelor’s Degree not in applicable fields: 12+ years direct work experience in a project management capacity, including all aspects of process development and execution is required.
• No Degree: 14+ years direct work experience in a project management capacity, including all aspects of process development and execution, is required.
Required Technical Skills & Experience:
• 8+ years’ experience in system design or engineering
• Experience managing projects and specifying engineering solutions for:
o High availability computer systems
o High availability facilities, such as power systems, HVAC, security or lighting systems
o Physical Security Systems
• Experience as project engineer leading design teams to meet complex technical requirements.
• In depth knowledge of electrical utility operations including dispatch, transmission scheduling, and power scheduling sufficient to provide a common understanding between project team, project sponsors, and customers.
• Demonstrated ability to manage varied projects, meeting cost and schedule constraints.
Preferred Skills & Experience:
• Experience specifying control center visualization systems
• Functional knowledge of NERC CIP standards, sufficient to develop processes and procedures compliant with NERC-CIP standards
• Familiarity with FISMA standards
All employment offers are contingent upon successful completion of our pre-employment screening that may include drug testing, background/criminal check, and if applicable, must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
Founded in 2002, ieSolutions is recognized as one of the largest locally owned Talent Staffing Services company headquartered in Portland, Oregon. We deliver our best each day to provide Reliable, Fair, Collaborative and Compassionate services to our customers, candidates and employees.
Collaborating with our customers, we augment their workforce with technical and administrative talent. We provide information technology, engineering, operation, technician, analyst, project management and administrative talent to our clients throughout the Pacific Northwest.
ieSolutions is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.