Job #: 9110
Job Title: Senior Network Engineer
Location: - Wilsonville, OR
Duration: Permanent Staff Position
We’re hiring a staff Network Engineer for our large Wilsonville client, to be a member of a dynamic and forward-thinking team, dedicated to the development and support of best-in-class data network solutions in order to exceed the needs of a demanding and challenging global technology company. Providing specialist knowledge and expertise, primarily in the area of Wide Area Networking to ensure optimum network performance and reliability to deliver a consistent network service.
Main areas of responsibility:
- Network Development: Propose, design and implement core WAN solutions to maintain and continuously improve the backbone network for this highly dispersed organization of over 65 connected sites around the globe. Collaborate with other IT groups and business functions to understand the full scope of business requirements. Undertake market analysis, vendor reviews and product evaluations to select technically appropriate and cost-effective solutions in order deliver against agreed requirements.
- To successfully achieve these results, you need solid and practical experience of designing and managing both MPLS and Internet VPN WAN’s delivered using Cisco routing and WAN optimization technologies. You will also have experience of providing corporate network access to cloud services such as AWS.
- An experience or understanding of SD-WAN solutions and their deployment would also be advantageous as the organization looks at options to adopt new SD-WAN solutions as a foundation for future corporate network evolution.
- Network Management: As the organization continues to develop and deliver on its commitments in areas of cloud services and remote computing, and many other new network reliant services, traffic management is an increasingly complex but essential discipline which is absolutely key to the success of this position.
- A thorough understanding and in-depth experience of collecting network traffic to analyze protocols and traffic patterns, in order to address application and service performance issues, operational issues, and generally enhance network throughput and efficiency is a fundamental requirement. This, along with a practical understanding of QoS/CoS to shape traffic delivery, is vital and where the successful candidate can add real value.
- In line with this, successful monitoring across the full range of networking solutions is essential and you will assist the organization as it develops new standards for network monitoring, ensuring the appropriate tools are implemented to meet the requirement sof real-time traffic management and traditional operational support.
Operations Support: Achieving the highest standard of operational support, availability and customer satisfaction is a fundamental objective.
- Working as part of a globally positioned network support team, provide level two support across the broad range of network services owned and maintained by the network team including: core WAN connectivity, wired/wireless LAN, remote access and firewall security infrastructure. Provide level three escalation support for WAN related incidents requiring expert analysis and in-depth technical insights.
- Provide out of hours, on-call support for networking services globally and provide extended on-site cover during business quarter end.
Required Job Qualifications and Education:
Preferred job qualifications and skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in a technical/IT discipline or related experience and five years or more experience as network architect/engineer, preferably for a medium to large, and globally dispersed organization. (Preferred)
- WAN/LAN: MPLS and Internet VPN’s, TCP/IP, IPv4/IPv6, OSPF, BGP, Multicast Multi Layer Switching, Voice/Video over IP, QoS, Cisco WAN equipment, HP LAN equipment (ArubaOS, Provision and Commware)
- Network Management: Solarwinds NPM, NTA, UDT, NCM, NetFlow, WireShark, Cisco EEM, ThousandEyes, Splunk.
- Optimization: WAN optimization technologies, ideally Cisco WAAS but Riverbed also advantageous.
Additional experience in any of the following would be desirable:
- Programming and scripting languages like PHP, Python, Perl, etc.
- Experience with DevOps workflows
- Have some familiarity with Puppet, Ansible, Jenkins and other DevOps tools.
- Eagerness to take on new challenges and demonstrate an initiative developing and implementing new technical solutions
- Excellent technical documentation skills
- Confidence to present to colleagues in IT, IT managers, CIO and other executive management levels
- Track record in effective project management
- Available to travel occasionally within North America, EMEA and Asia.