Title: Technical Writer 3
Location: Portland, OR
Duration: 1 year+/ multi- year contract
Application Deadline: 7/15/18
This full-time (up to 40 hours) contract position will provide documentation and technical writing support to the Infrastructure Services (JN) organization within the Information Technology organization at our client. JN operates and maintains the enterprise IT infrastructure and operational environments that support delivery of applications services to internal and external customers. The team’s responsibilities include the planning, design, coordination, configuration, installation, maintenance, and operation of data center services, network services, platform services, and internal operations services to meet business outcomes. The Technical Writer will draft, coordinate, and organize system security plans, continuity of operations documentation, installation guides, operational run-books, and similar IT-related documentation through engagement with technical experts across various IT disciplines. This position is located at client Headquarters in Portland, OR.
This position is NOT open to Foreign National Candidates.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENT: This position requires confidentiality, professionalism and requires passing a higher level background investigation, for which the incumbent must qualify to hold or continue to hold the position.
Contract personnel are not allowed to direct Federal employees, nor are they allowed to authorize expenditures or make decisions on behalf of client; these functions are specifically assigned to client employees. Contract personnel provide analysis, information and input to those functions. Additionally, contract personnel may only represent client (such as at seminars, industry events, etc.) with written authorization from a Vice President.
Position Responsibilities include:
Note: all official drafts, documents, materials and recommendations, as listed below, must be reviewed, finalized and approved / accepted by appropriate manager and/or other federal personnel with the authority to do so.
- Confer with and interview customers and subject matter experts (SME) to draft/establish technical specifications, and recommend material to be developed.
- Work with internal teams to obtain in in-depth understanding of the product and documentation requirements.Produce high-quality documentation that meets client and industry standards and is appropriate for the intended audience.
- Observe production, developmental, and experimental activities to recommend improvements to operating procedures.
- Research and analyze workflow and processes for IT Help Desk, IT Client Support, IT Asset Management, and IT Operations.
- Research, develop and document technical design specifications and test scripts.
- Document, edit, review, organize, publish, and present information to include requirements, design, business processes, policy, user manuals, reference manuals, and user-based scenarios (a workflow that describes all the steps, actions, and attributes taken to accomplish a specific task).
- Research and document Federal Information Security and Management Act (FISMA) 800.53 security controls for general support systems (GSS) as a part of the systems authorization process.
- Document and maintain responses to Plan of Action and Milestones (POA&M) items identified within Security Assessment Reports (SAR).
- Elicit requirements to understand complex business systems and interdependencies with the upstream and downstream systems and put these concepts into a form readable and understandable by individuals with varying backgrounds and understandings.
- Conduct technical interviews to obtain knowledge for documentation.
- Organize material and complete assignments according to set standards regarding order, clarity, conciseness, style, and terminology.
- Review published materials and recommend revisions or changes in scope, format, content, and/or methods of reproduction.
- Edit, standardize or make changes to material prepared by other writers or client staff.
- Maintain records and files of work and revisions.
- Select photographs, drawings, sketches, diagrams, and charts to illustrate material.
- Study drawings, specifications, mockups, and product samples to integrate and delineate technology, operating procedures, and production sequence and detail.
- Communicate complex technical information effectively with a wide variety of technical and business experts in both individual and in group settings.
- Organize, refine, and document technical and functional concepts into a useful fashion.
- Write logical instructions:
- Decompose high-level information into details.
- Abstract up from low-level information to develop documentation, clarify requirements and organize library for use amongst the project teams.
- Arrange for typing, duplication, and distribution of material.
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications or a closely related field is required.
- This is a Level 3 Position: 10+ years of demonstrated technical writing experience or equivalent is required.
- Experience communicating with a wide variety of technical and business experts in both individual and group settings is required.
- Proficiency in the use of the full Microsoft Office Suite 2010, 2013, and/or 2016 for the purposes of creating infrastructure architecture diagrams, Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, PowerPoint presentations, and Visio diagrams is required.
- Effective technical interviewing skills within an Information Technology environment.
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to organize and present information in various forms such as textual, graphical, and statistical.
- Advanced knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition and grammar.
- Demonstrated understanding of the IT working environment, sufficient to explain technical issues to a disparate range of technical and non-technical clients.
- Knowledge of NIST standards and cybersecurity guidance.
- Demonstrated experience with FISMA security control documentation and testing practices.
- Familiarity with the security authorization and Authority to Operate (ATO) process.
- Familiarity with applying security controls under a risk management framework.
- Experience with technical writing in a network or telecommunications environment.
- Ability to work independently to complete tasks.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills for working with senior level business clients and technical client personnel.
- Display calm and a customer oriented attitude in fast-paced and sometimes stressful conditions.
- Excellent communication skills including facilitation and problem/conflict resolution.
- Meet timelines, milestones, and deliverables to provide timely (weekly) status updates.
- Carry out assigned tasks with a professional demeanor reflected in excellent written and oral communication skills, listening skills, patience, analytical reasoning and problem solving abilities.
- Understand and follow established processes and procedures, including change management, work/task tracking, and time management.
- Support a sustainable infrastructure by maintaining adequate documentation of activities, including cross-training of employees as necessary.
- Ensure proper identification of self as a contract worker in all communications, correspondence, etc.
- Must be able to pass a Personnel background check pursuant for Public Trust (SF-85P), for which the selected candidate must qualify to hold or continue to hold the position.
- The selected candidate will be required to sign a client Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) as a condition of the contract assignment.
- Offsite Work may not be performed without prior approval from the client Manager.
- All information associated with work performed offsite must be maintained in the client network environment. No client information will be allowed to be transmitted, stored and created, etc., on the contract worker's personal devices. Contract personnel must follow all client and government-wide security, asset management, and cyber security policies and procedures.
- Offsite work may only be performed within the client service area unless approved by the Labor Management Office.Contract personnel must keep their employer informed of their work location at all times and must coordinate any changes with their employer and our client before the change occurs.
- Valid U.S. Driver’s License is required.
- Upon selection of the assignment, the contract worker may be required to complete internal/external training to support assigned programs or software, software upgrades, or to learn new client technology.
*Note: Attendance at all conferences, workshops, training, etc. must be pre-approved by client. For any such events, requests will be reviewed on a case by case basis; approval is subject to the most current guidance provided to client and is subject to change. Client reserves the right to negotiate attendance on billable/non-billable hours and reimbursement of travel costs with the supplier. Reimbursable travel costs must adhere to the Federal Travel Regulations and be submitted via an expense sheet in Fieldglass.